Thursday, September 19, 2013

OPI: Rock Goddess Review & Swatches!

This month OPI has released their Halloween 2013 limited edition mini nail lacquer set. The set includes four rocker-inspired mini nail lacquers and an adjustable skull bracelet. The set retails for $12.95 at Ulta but I have seen varying prices online.



First, I must thank my friend who got this for me. As a polish addict, I could never have too much and a friend that supports my addiction is a keeper, if I do say so myself! Ok, now on to the review and swatches!



The set comes with 4- 1/8 fl. oz bottles in the colors: Yellopalooza, Stand in Lime for Days, Rolling Bones, and The Drummer is Hot. I'll be honest, I'm not quite sure how all these colors go together in a set, but since it is a "Halloween set" I guess anything goes?!

Keeping with the Halloween/rocker theme, an adjustable black bracelet with a skull charm is included in the set. Not something you would buy the set for but it's a nice little detail.



To save time, I just painted each finger with a different color from the set. 

From L-R:

Yellopalooza- Love the name but that's about it. Although this is a nice rich yellow color, the formula was awful. Most yellow polishes are a pain to work with and this was no exception. The formula was very streaky and I used 4 coats in the photo. Because of this, this was my least favorite of the set.

Stand in Lime for Days- I love the color of this lime green but the formula was very similar to Yellopalooza. Very streaky and 3 coats were needed to get an opaque finish. For that reason, this is my second to least favorite of the bunch.

Rolling Bones- This was the most surprising color to me. In the package it just looked like another silver/gray sparkle polish. I thought it was similar to OPI's Lucerne-tainly Look Marvelous but they are completely different. The camera does not do this polish justice nor does it capture the variation in this polish. I would describe it as an iridescent slate grey/gold polish that has an almost olive green sheen in certain lighting. There's also micro green and magenta glitter through out the polish. The formula was easy to work with and in 2 coats the polish was opaque.This was by far my favorite of the whole set.

The Drummer is Hot- The camera captures this more red than orange but in real life this is more orange than red...haha, go figure. The formula is great on this polish. I applied 2 coats but it is opaque enough that you could get away with one thicker coat easily. I'm not a big fan of orange polishes but this has just enough red in it that I find it very wearable. Factor in the formula and this is my second favorite of the set.

I can't say that I think everyone should go run out and buy this set, but I love Rolling Bones so much that I'm glad I have it. I decided to paint all my nails with Rolling Bones and added some detailing:

Here I added Orly's Luxe to the base of nails to bring out the gold sheen in Rolling Bones.

I got bored and decided to outline the gold to create a better contrast between the two polishes. It came out looking quite art deco...haha.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...