Monday, July 22, 2013

Review: Maybelline Fit Me Shine-Free Foundation

I think the last time I tried a stick foundation I was in highschool...and that was ages ago. It was a Clinique or Estee Lauder one, and I hated it. Fast forward to today, and stick foundations have caught my attention again, but this time at the drugstore.



Ooo...foundation in stick form and shine free...this sounds convenient!

Picking out a shade was a little difficult because there's a number sticker on the top of the cap that obstructs your view a bit. Yes, there's the big ass color wheel but the foundations weren't exactly the color of the display.




The main thing you will notice is the different color core in the middle of the stick. Some were more pink and some more yellow. I noticed that the shade I thought would match me best had a pink core so I had to focus only on the shades that had the more yellow core.



I purchased Shade 310- Sun Beige (which turned out to be a good match) and for reference again, I'm an NC35 at MAC. I paid $8.99 for .32 oz at Walgreens but I know Target sells it for $6.99. Eitherway, it's a very affordable foundation coming in at under $10.



It's about the size of a lipstick but a bit wider which makes it really convenient for on-the-go.




I do appreciate that the sticks are sealed but just like lipsticks, the seals can be broken extremely easily. When the cap is shut, you can't tell the seal is broken with a quick glance. I always pull the cap just a bit to see if the seal has already been broken or not.


So the main claim that this foundation is making according to Maybelline's website is the anti-shine core that has lightweight powders to dissolve excess oil and in result, leaves a matte finish.



I'll get to the point on this review: I tried the foundation 3 ways and each time I was not impressed. 

1st Time: I prepped my face as I normally do: moisturizer and then Loreal Miracle Blur as a primer. I used a foundation brush to blend it out. 

2nd Time: I skipped the moisturizer and blended the foundation out with my fingers which is suggested by Maybelline's website.

3rd Time: I applied moisturizer only to my face and blended the foundation out with my fingers 


The 1st and 2nd time gave me the worst results. Can we say Hello Grease Ball?!

The 3rd time was a little better but on the shine spectrum, I was nowhere near shine-free.  

This foundation reminded me again why I don't like stick foundations. There's something about the formula that just does not work well with my skin. They leave my skin looking and feeling so greasy and shiny. On top of that, it accentuates every dry patch and pore and I imagine it would settle into fine lines and wrinkles. I have tried setting it with powder as well and the foundation just seems to eat it up and I continued to look and feel greasy. I also didn't like the feel of the foundation when I would touch my face. It just felt greasy and bit like silicone was on my face. The minute I touched my face, the foundation would come right off...not cool.

Despite my not so good experience, I still think it's worth trying out because everyone has a different skin type. If it works with your skin, it's such a convenient product to have. The size and packaging alone make it great to take anywhere. It blends easily and it's extremely lightweight on the face, basically like second skin. Also, if you have yellow undertone in your skin like I do, I think there are some good options color wise in this line. That's always a big plus because I find a lot of drugstore foundations to be more on the pink side. Other things to note: The foundation applies lighter than what it looks like in the package and the coverage is in between light and medium. If you need more coverage, this wouldn't be the foundation for you. 

Unfortunately for me, it was a major fail and a definite return due to how oily/greasy it made me. A little ironic since this is marketed as a Shine-Free Foundation...maybe my anti-shine core was broken? Maybe.

Now for some swatches:





*Links provided via ShopSense


1 comment:

  1. omg I saw this at the drugstore and I passed since I had no clue what shade I was or am.. >.< they should've made it easier for consumers to pick their right shade with a simple color chart "light, medium, dark" and the undertones... haha

    My Blog: Caught in a Daze.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...