Tuesday, October 15, 2013

OCC Lip Tar 2.0 Review & Swatches!



I cannot believe it has taken me this long to try Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tars, but better late then never right?!

I purchased these from Sephora a few months ago but you can also purchase them from the OCC site. They run $18 a pop so it's definitely worth purchasing the sets at Sephora that go for $49 for 5 (and a lip brush is included). There are 3 different sets to choose from, but today I will be talking about the 2.0 set.


If you are a makeup addict, you already know what these are but for the newbies out there, these are described as super pigmented and long lasting matte lipsticks. They not only can be worn alone, but they can be mixed to create custom colors. They are also Paraben-free and 100% vegan and cruelty free.

After hearing rave reviews for years, I was really excited to try these out! So were they just as amazing as everyone had said they were?

Mmmmm.....eh.

Yea, that's definitely not an enthusiastic answer. Cue the womp womp sound effect.

So I'll go over the good first:

  • Super pigmented
  • A little goes a long way so the product will last forever
  • Can be mixed to make custom colors
  • Weightless on the lips/very comfortable to wear
  • Great color selection
Now to the not so pretty truth. I'm not sure if I got a bad batch but my biggest gripe about this product is the oil.

Let's examine this shall we.

So with the name lip tar, I would assume that the consistency would be somewhat thick...like tar. Makes sense right?! Well, the consistency is very runny and 3 out of the 5 colors started to separate before I even had a chance to use them.

I'm not sure if you can tell in the picture above, but the product started to separate from the oil that is in the product. This wouldn't be that big of deal except there is no way to really mix them back together. The tube is too full to squeeze the product around and shaking this violently did nothing, although my arms did get a good workout.

As you can see in this photo, because there is no way to mix the product together, oil comes out first when you try to use it. The whole benefit of only needing a pin size amount is pretty much void because you have to squeeze out all the oil first before you can just get to the product. No bueno.

My other issue is I don't find these that practical because you need to use a lip brush to apply them. I find that they are not that long lasting, maybe 4 hours before a touch up is needed, and I'm not always in a place where I can bust out the tube, lip brush, and mirror needed to reapply this. I will say that some of the colors do stain your lips a bit which is good but the majority of the color wears off relatively quickly.

If you are a make up artist, I can see how these are a great addition to your kit. Especially because you can customize your colors and normally you are available for touch ups. For the everyday girl, for everyday use, I find it a bit of a hassle. I remember when I mixed a few of the colors together and loved the color ,but when I needed to touch up, it's not like I was going to start mixing colors at the restaurant to reapply. Get what I'm saying by this can be a hassle?

Lastly, these are not matte, in my opinion because of all the oil. I would say these are semi-matte once they set. I like semi-matte, but if you are expecting a true matte lip color, this isn't it. 

Final Thoughts: As much as I love the color selection and ability to mix custom colors, the oil issue and application just aren't worth it to me. I would much rather prefer a lipstick or or a pigmented gloss with a wand applicator.

Now for the swatches:



 I took all the swatches and mixed them together and this is the color that it came out to be:


*After wiping the swatch off with a paper towel. You can see how it leaves a stain of color*

*Referral Links provided via Shop Sense*



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...