Thursday, July 25, 2013

Rimmel: Show Off Lip Lacquer Celestial & Luna


Finally! I got my hands on the long awaited Apocalips by Rimmel! I was a little disappointed that they changed the name for the US release...Apocalips is so much better than Show Off Lip Lacquer. Not sure why the name was changed...are you trying to tell us something Rimmel? Are we Americans not worthy of a cool lipgloss name?! Well, we did get 14 shades whereas the UK only have 8, so that's pretty awesome...I guess all is forgiven.

Anyways, I've been waiting for months for these bad boys to make an appearance here in the U.S. and I was at my Walgreens as soon as I heard they had arrived. To my dismay, not only were a lot of the colors sold out, the ones left over had been opened. So annoying.

There is a seal on the product but like most drugstore makeup, a little clear sticker doesn't prevent tampering. If you aren't familiar with this product, there is a way to tell if the applicator has been pulled out all the way or not.


From L-R: If the center section is clear like the photo on the left, then the applicator has not been pulled out of the tube. Regardless if the seal is broken, if you see a clear section, that means no one has pulled the applicator out yet. The photo in the middle shows the applicator about to be pulled out. You can see the color start to fill the section. The photo on the far right is what happens as the applicator is being taken completely out of the tube. If you see a gloss that has a center section filled with product, then you know someone has pulled the entire applicator out.

After searching forever for just one gloss that hadn't been tampered with, I was eventually able to get my hands on Celestial and Luna. There were shimmer shades but I was only interested in the creme finishes. Though these weren't my top picks, they were new and sealed and that's all that mattered to me!


The Show Off Lip Lacquers remind me of NYX's Xtreme Lip Creams only more hydrating and a glossier finish. They have great color pay off and the smell is ok. It's hard for me to describe, but it's somewhere in the middle of I don't hate it but I don't like it either. I wouldn't say that they are extremely long lasting but they are decent. For me, if I eat or drink something, the product will come off. With regular wear, I can get about 3-4 hours of wear before I feel the need to reapply.

What I really like about this product is the applicator. Unlike other glosses where you tend to get too much product all over the applicator and usually have to wipe it off on the sides of the tube, this applicator has an indentation on the angled part of the applicator that holds all the product.


It's kind of hard to explain, but as you can see in the photo above, all the product is resting at the tip of the applicator as oppose to all over the sponge tip. It makes applying the product really nice and precise. Kudos Rimmel! 

I found these lip lacquers really comfortable to wear, not drying or sticky at all, and they have a very nice semi-gloss finish. I paid $4.99 at Walgreens which is such a good price, especially because it's basically a lipstick and lipgloss combined. I definitely want to get more of these colors...let's just hope I can find more. Damn tamperers! 

Swatch Time!


Celestial- Mauve/Pink
This is my favorite of the two and it's becoming my favorite lip product in general. It's a great everyday medium pink that I think will look good on everyone.


Luna- Peachy/Orange
I didn't like this particular color on me and I found the formula didn't apply as evenly as Celestial did. However, if you like peach colors that lean more orange, this is a nice one without being too bright or overpowering. 



SALE ALERT! *I've never shopped a drugstore online, but I noticed that on the Walgreens website, these lip lacquer's are Buy One Get One 50% off right now! They also have a 'find it in store' option which makes things much more convenient if you are looking for a certain color!

*Links provided via ShopSense*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...