Tuesday, May 28, 2013

MTTO: Kaolin Clay Mask

Part 7 of 8 of my MTTO line review...almost done! You can find the original post with all the review links here.



Out of the 8 products I have tried this was probably my least favorite of the bunch. I love a good mask so I was very excited to try this, but as a mask I really didn't like this. Let me explain.

So let's see, I guess I should start from the beginning... 

As with any night I decide to use a mask, I wash my face, lightly pat dry with a towel, and begin to apply the mask with my fingers. First off, this has a pump which you think would be convenient but out of all the products from this line with a pump, this was the defective one. I was pumping like no one's business for a good minute until all of a sudden, a random burst of orange/brick colored substance shoots out, landing on my shirt and mirror. We were not off to a good start.





After I cleaned up that mess, I went through another minute of non-stop pumping (this time with my hand hovering over the pump to avoid the last incident), and began to apply this to my face. Holy eff, my face started to feel like it was on fire! I was prepared for a slight tingle knowing this is a clay mask but it really burned. My pain tolerance is pretty high so I kept telling myself to stop being a little you know what and fight through it...ugh, the things we do in the name of beauty. Anyways, within 30 seconds or so the feeling that my epidermis was burning off went away. Thank God.

As I mentioned, the color of this mask is a orange/brick color. The consistency was like watered down mud which was easy to apply over the face. It dried fairly quickly, so I did have to apply it quickly and in small sections to evenly distribute it across my face. 


This is where we get into the real issue I had with this mask. When I went to wash off the mask after the 10-15 mins it was on, it wouldn't fully wash off! I could feel the residue on my face and when I looked in the mirror, let's just say if I was shorter, I would have a good shot as a worker in Willy Wonka's chocolate factory. I wish I was exaggerating but I'm not. My face was oompa loompa status. As I proceeded to use my toner, I literally had to go over my face at least 5 times to get the majority of the clay residue off and even then my cotton pads never wiped fully clean. 

After that experience, I kind of just dismissed the product all together and put it away. Then a few months back, I was having some break outs on my chin area. I had run out of my usual benzoyl peroxide and came across this in one of my drawers. I knew clay was great at drawing out impurities so I thought maybe I could use this as spot treatment.


Learning from the last time I used it, I decided to unscrew the cap this time to get the product out (Momma didn't raise no fool). I used a q-tip to apply the product to any problem areas I had on my skin.  In small doses, this was so much better...none of that "Omg, my face is burning off!" feeling. I did this at night and slept with it on. After the first night my problem areas had reduced in size! AHHH......the seas parted, the birds were singing, and I could see the light! Within 3 days my breakouts would completely go away. I was so happy I found another use for this because I sure as hell wasn't going to put it all over my face again! 

So although I started out really not liking this product as a mask, I do like it as a spot treatment for acne. I did find that I could not use this every night because it would aggravate my skin but when used directly on the problem area for a few days with breaks in between, it worked great. 

Oh and side note: When I went to visit the site to get the info on this product for this post, I noticed they changed the packaging and the formula! Should be interesting to see how it performs now but also good to know I wasn't the only one experiencing some issues!

Price: $34 for 3.4 fl oz.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...